If you tuned in to THV11 This Morning two weeks ago expecting to see Elvis…well, he wasn’t in the house. Unfortunately, I came down with a stomach bug and the last thing I needed or wanted was food. Enough said.
This week it’s all about Mardi Gras. With a twist, of course. You just knew I couldn’t leave well enough alone, didn’t you?
I’ve taken some traditional Mardi Gras, actually anytime Cajun and Creole, favorites and will be presenting those in an untraditional way. It’s definitely a show you won’t want to miss so get your purple, gold and green beads on and party with me this coming Tuesday, January 19 at 6:15 a.m. on THV11. (Note the new time.)
Here’s what you can look forward to:
- Mardi Gras Gumbo Dip (Look for this recipe on the Riceland Foods blog later this week.)
- Microwave BBQ Shrimp (so easy, so delicious)
- Crawfish/Shrimp Okra Hushpuppies (on THV11 web site) with Comeback Sauce (coming this week on DWD)
- Red Beans and Rice Soup (coming this week on DWD) – you’ve had red beans and rice, now try it in this spicy soup with a few of those Crawfish/Shrimp Hushpuppies. It’ll make “yo slap yo momma!”
- King Cake Bread Pudding (coming this week on DWD) – combines the best of King Cake and bread pudding – Oh my!
Laissez les bon temps rouler (lay-zay lay bon ton rule-ay)
Let the good times roll!
February 9 marks the date of Mardi Gras in 2016, a much shorter season than usual. You still have time to pull together a casual, friendly celebration before the Lenten season. I hope you’ll give some of these nontraditional dishes with traditional flavors a try.