This Pico de Gallo recipe is the same one that is made in thousands of Mexican households every day and it just couldn’t be any easier. Once you learn to make your own, you will never, ever consider purchasing premade Pico again. Trust me.
Pico de Gallo is a delicious and aromatic Mexican condiment that is served in many Mexican homes on a daily basis. Use it with fajitas, tacos, nachos or scooped up with tortilla chips if you’re at our house. We often top rice, fish, chicken, baked potatoes, or cheese dip with it as well.
Pico de gallo is best eaten the same day it is made, but it does keep for a day or two in the refrigerator if you have leftovers.
You could use food processor to make this, but I do not recommend it.. You can finely dice the ingredients by hand in the time it takes you to get our the food processor and then clean it up. Besides, I think hand dicing creates a more attractive dish.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes, seeded (about 4 plum or 2 regular)
- 2 or 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.