Are you totally “deflated” over the latest Super Bowl fiasco? (Sorry. Just couldn’t resist). Feasting on a few of these quick and easy Tortellini Caprese Skewers is sure to be a winning pleasure, and you won’t even have to choose up sides to enjoy them.
You may remember that I made these in December for my THV11 session on Make-Ahead Appetizers for your holiday festivities. Well, why not enjoy these year-round for whatever “special” event you might be hosting?
So who do you predict will win? Patriots? Seahawks?
I have no idea what the Las Vegas line is on either team but I do know that these skewers are sure to hit the jackpot with you!
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated cheese or spinach tortellini
- 3 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
- 24 ounces fresh Boconccini or Ciliegine (mozarella balls)*
- fresh basil leaves
- 60 6-inch wooden skewers
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Tablespoons julienned fresh basil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Prepare the tortellini according to package directions, leaving it al dente. Drain and chill for 1 hour.
- Beginning with a grape tomato, thread a mozzarella ball, grape tomato and a tortellini. Stick in a basil leaf occasionally, if desired.
- Place the skewers in a large baking dish and pour over with the vinaigrette, turning to coat.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours. These can be made a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator; turn occasionally.
- Whisk the vinegar and salt together until well blended. Slowly add in the olive oil, continuing to whisk all of the time.
- Stir in the basil and freshly cracked pepper.
- Spread over the tortellini skewers.
- The vinaigrette makes approximately 1 1/2 cups.
- * I prefer the Cilegine.